The students must be enrolled in a relevant PhD program at UiA or other national or international Universities.
Previous knowledge at the level of MSc in marine biology (or similar) is recommended.
Upon completing this course students will:
• have insights into current research into ecological interactions of coastal ecosystems
• be able to design and evaluate studies on the dynamics of coastal fish populations
• be able to discuss different management strategies for coastal regions
• be able to discuss the challenges of current research in coastal ecology
• have experience from working in teams
• be able to evaluate and present scientific data in marine ecology
The course will focus on relevant research questions in coastal ecology based on the research within our Centre for Coastal Research (CCR). The questions will be related to the dynamics and interactions of benthic and pelagic coastal ecosystems, their management and human influences of this system. The course content will vary slightly between years and focus on the expertise of local and international collaborators who will join the teaching staff for the course. The covered topics will be announced well in advance of the application deadline.
Undervisnings- og læringsformer
The course will be arranged with a combination of lectures, seminars and discussion groups as well as some field excursions. Students will be introduced to current research questions and challenges and work to resolve these with guidance from the lecturers. Students are expected to prepare for the course in advance.
Vilkår for å gå opp til eksamen
Individual oral presentation must be passed.
Individual written report. The grading used is passed /not passed.