After completing courses, students should understand how digitalization can create value in both private and public companies and why it is important to understand what can do it. Students will be able to plan and execute activities that both map and segment value creation in specific digitization projects.
Knowledge and skills:
• Understand how digital value creation and realization of digital values is a key part of strategic management.
• Knowledge of theoretical models that illustrate how digitalisation creates values and how securities can be evaluated and influenced.
• Know the practices and different traditional ways to map the effects of digitalisation.
• Know the concepts and tools that can be used to chart digital value as a basis for measures that can ensure digitization projects support strategic in the business.
• Be able to plan and carry out activities for performance measurement and gain realization, assess the suitability of theories, methods and indicators.
• Be able to identify needs for improvement and implement improvement measures in new performance metrics in the company.
The topic contains the following theme:
• Strategic importance of digital technology and digitalization, and the need for follow-up and profit realization
• Theories of digital value and effects of digital technology and digitization
• Theories of measurement of digital value creation
• Approaches to assess and improve existing performance measurement systems
• Examples of current concepts and solutions to support digital value creation
• Case: Performance measurement and profit realization for selected digitization projects
Teaching takes place through varied forms of learning. Initially, lectures with emphasis on dialogue between the course participants dominate in relation to current theories and methods. Thereafter, active participation from students takes over by presenting articles and examples from self-selected examples from practice. This is followed up by guest lectures from leading researchers or practitioners with experience in the field. A key tool for learning is two compulsory project assignments, where students collaborate throughout the semester.
Expected working hours are 270 hours.
Faculty of Social Sciences