Upon completion of this course students have knowledge of
• the phonemes of English and their articulation.
• how the articulation of phonemes in words and utterances can influence each other.
• the most important intonation patterns in English, their meaning and make-up.
• the most important differences between standard British and standard American pronunciation.
• the problems of English pronunciation for foreign learners, especially those with a Norwegian language background.
Upon completion of this course students can
• read transcriptions of English words written using IPA symbols.
• transcribe words using IPA symbols.
All students: Students must complete 80% of the digital exercises, scoring at least 50% correct, by the deadlines given.
For the teacher students: Approved practice and one written assignment must be assessed as a Pass.
Students on the bachelor's programme: Two written assignments must be assessed as a Pass, and at least 50% attendance on the first-semester programme ‘God Start’ is required. More information will be provided in Canvas at the beginning of the semester.
All other students: Two written assignments must be assessed as a Pass.
Faculty of Humanities and Education