After completing the course, the student is expected to:
· Understand the subject's correlation to the other courses in the civil engineering program.
· Be able to explain and communicate the significance and application of design standards in structural design.
· Be able to explain and communicate pros and cons of different building materials and building elements of given structures.
· Be able to calculate steel and wood structures according to current design standards.
· Be able to make scaled drawings of the calculated structures.
· Have solid knowledge of materials used in loadbearing constructions.
· Element analysis
Load calculations in accordance with applicable regulations.
Design of joints
Calculation of deformation
Design criteria and analysis methods
Lectures, exercises and laboratory exercises.
Assessment methods and criteria
4-hour individual written examination. Graded assessment.
The study programme manager, in consultation with the student representative, decides the method of evaluation and whether the courses will have a midterm- or end of term evaluation, see also the Quality System, section 4.1. Information about evaluation method for the course will be posted on Canvas.