- Emergent learning technologies
- Globalization, learning and development
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in learning and education
- Mediated futures: Digital transformations of society
- Philosophies of technology and learning
About the research group
Operating since 2010, Future Learning Lab develops and hosts research projects, events and explorative processes in the use of technology and media-rich learning environments. Our general focus is to work towards a better understanding of what challenges are represented by the emergent ”digitalization of society”, from the point of view of education and learning.
As worklife is automated, education globalized, knowledge networks proliferate and technologies enable completely new forms of access to learning … approaches to formal and informal learning also have to change. And they do change, raising both the need and the challenge of cross-dicsiplinary research, foundational medis critique and futures oriented explorations of new means of learning and co-creative entrepreneurship.
Our research focus has five main entries:
1) Explorative research on uses of new learning technologies
2) Media and design-oriented research on tehcnology and user orientations
3) Sociological inquiry of new learning technologyś impact on society
4) Geographcal study of emergent global knowledge networks and connectivity
5) Anthropological perspectives on globalization, development and connectivity
Who we are:
Future Learning Lab consists of a core project membership group at UiA and a network of international scholars and peers. At UiA: Oddgeir Tveiten (professor, PhD), Donna Kidwell (associate professor, PhD), Derek Woodgate (assistant professor, PhD), Øyvind Økland (adjunct, PhD) Sven Åke Bjørke (senior university lecturer, MA), Dianah Nampijah (PhD student), Aleksandra Lazareva (PhD student), Søren Kragholm (research co-ordinator), Martin Gautestad (consultant, UiA media center) Halvard Øysæd (Assistant professor, Grimstad) and Rune Andersen (Assistant professor, Grimstad).
South Norway, external members: Vidar Mortensen (research group manager, MA), and Joseph Salomonsen, (senior researcher, Agderforskning, MA). National external members: June Breivik, BI Norwegian School of Business).
Key project affiliated members in the international network: Keith Devlin (executive director, H Star Institute, Stanford University), Michael Shanks (professor, Stanford University), Eilif Trondsen (Director, SBI Institute, Silicon Valley), Michael Carter (independent consultant, San Francisco), David Conover (independent researcher on gamebased learning, Austin, Texas), Catherine Casserley (vice president of EdCast, Silicon Valley), Rith Teer Tomaselli (University of Kwazulu-Nataal, Durban South Africa).
What we do:
- Ongoing research projects
- Annual conference (Future Learning Lab / World Learning Summit)
- Regular workshops (various locations)
Who we work with and have worked with:
- Various regional private and public stakeholders, South Norway
- Nordic Innovation Center, Oslo
- Open Innovation Lab of Norway, Oslo
- Nordic Innvation House, Palo Alto
- Oslo EdTech
- Oslo Start-up Lab
- GRID Arendal
- Norwegian Aid Agency (NORAD)
- The Freedom of Speech Foundation
- Aftenposten – Norway´s key newspaper
- FUN – Fleksibel Utdanning Norge
- IKT i Utdanningen
- Norgesuniversitetet – Norwegian Digital University
- BI Norwegian Business School
- University College of South-East Norway
- NLA University College
- University of Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa
- Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
- Uganda Christian University, Kampala Uganda
- University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Stanford University
- Institute for the Future
- Emergent Worlds: Developing media-rich learning tools for sustainable development. Project end date, Spring 2016.
- Global media X: Exploring a MOOC on Global Journalism, a collaboration with EdCast. End date, fall 2016
- Understanding Global Journalism: A book project, learning tools and study guides. End date, fall 2016.
- World Learning Summits: Annual international conferences. Ongoing.
- New learning formats: A study of flipped classroom approaches to teachers training curricula – Nye læringsformer, Omvendt Klasserom som pedagogisk prinsipp i grunnskolelærerutdanningen: Project end date: Fall 2016.
- Future Learning Lab Knowledge Cloud: An ongoing MOOC laboratory.
Aagaard Toril, Swanberg Anne Berit, Hjukse Hjørdis, Tveiten Oddgeir, Steen-Utheim Anna Therese, Grøndal Inger Carin, Breivik June, Technology and new educational practices: Videostories as tool for promoting pedagogical reflection? (2018). UNIPED. ISSN 1893-8981.
Haugen, H., Ask, B. & Bjoerke, S.A. (2017). Training Teachers at all Levels in Pedagogical Approaches and Methods for Online and Blended Learning. In P. Resta & S. Smith (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2017 (pp. 1598-1606). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
Lazareva, A. (2017). “Role of the online tutor in establishing social presence in asynchronous text-based collaborative learning environments”, in Proceedings of the 19th Interactive Collaborative Learning Conference (Volume 1). Springer International Publishing.
Lazareva, A. (2017). A framework for small group support in online collaborative learning: Combining collaboration scripts and online tutoring. Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Computer Supported Education (CSEDU), Porto, Portugal.
Lazareva, A. (2017). Facilitating synchronous collaborative writing with a collaboration script. Proceedings of the 2017 International conference on Information Systems Development (ISD), Larnaca, Cyprus.
Nampiija, D. (2017) Mobile Technologies as tools for Learning in Non-formal contexts. Experiences with Smallholders farmers in Resource Limited Settings, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 95-107.
Stracke, C.M., Tveiten, O. & Shanks, M. (2017) Smart Universities: Education's Digital Future, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 7-10.
Stracke, C.M. (2017) The Quality of Open Online Education and Learning: A Quality Reference Framework for MOOCs, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 93-95.
Tan, E., Stracke, C. M., Prokopowicz. M., Kővári. E., Kigyós, T., Csizmadia, T., Kronika.K., Fehérvölgyi.B., Erdős., K. (2017) Learning to learn: Beyond 2020, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 12-20.
Trondsen, E. (2017) Nordic EdTech: Evolution, challenges, and opportunities, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 116-120
Tveiten, O. (2017) Contact Education: A theory Framework, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 82-93.
Tveiten, O. (2017) MOOCing Journalism Education: Notes on the Emergent Learning Technology Industry, World Learning Summit Official Proceedings, Berlin: Logos Verlag, pp. 107-116.
Øysæd, H., Andersen, R.,, Garmannslund P.E., Prinz, A.,, Lazareva, A-., Schmidt, M., (2017) Does The Introduction Of An Overall Study Strategy Empowering Students To Use Appropriate Study Strategies?. ICERI proceedings . ISSN 2340-1095. s 4152 - 4157
Bjørke, S. Å. & Lazareva A. (2016). Tutoring in online and distance education. Symposium on Advances in Digital Technologies for University Teaching & Learning (D-TEL), Kristiansand, Norway.
Goth, UGS & Økland, Ø (2016) Helse- og oppvekstfag i en globalisert verden. I: Yrkes- og profesjonsutdanning i en norsk kontekst. Gyldendal Akademisk 2016 ISBN 9788205490789. s. 68-83, HIOA NLAH UIA
Lazareva, A. (2016). Tutoring in online collaborative learning courses. Distance Education Leapfrogging Project Workshop (DELP), Kampala, Uganda.
Bjørke, S. Å. & Lazareva A. (2016). Peer assessment in online collaborative learning: Increasing performance. UiA-UNO Assessment Workshop, Omaha, USA.
Fatahi, N. & Økland, Ø (2015) Difficulties and Possibilities in Kurdish Refugees’ Social Relationship and its Impact on their Psychosocial Well-Being. Journal of Family Medicine and Community Health 2015 ;Volum 2.(3)
Khazanchi, D., Munkvold, B. E., & Lazareva, A. (2015). Towards a Contingency Theory of eLearning. Digital Media in Teaching and its Added Value, 35.
Lazareva, A. (2015). Designing engaging computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL) environments: Online tutor as a provider of adaptive support. Symposium on Advances in Digital Technologies for University Teaching & Learning (D-TEL), Grimstad, Norway.
Lazareva, A. (2015). Promoting collaborative interactions in a learning management system. Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning (ICL), Florence, Italy.
Økland, Ø.(2014) Dialogue and mission in a globalized world: Developments in the World Council of Churches and in the Lausanne Movement. I: The Lausanne movement: A range of perspectives. Regnum Books 2014 ISBN 978-1-908355-52-2. s. 367-382
Fjeldstad, KB; Omland, S. & Økland, Ø. (2013) Norske medier fra et norsk-somalisk perspektiv. I: Innvandrerungdom og mediebruk: Norsk-somalisk ungdom i en global medieverden. Portal forlag 2013 ISBN 978-82-92712-79-5. s. 72-88
Økland, Ø.(2013)Kommunikasjon. I: Folkehelse i et norsk perspektiv. Gyldendal Akademisk 2014 ISBN 9788205463950. s. 227-243
Haugen, H.; Ask, B.; Bjørke, S.Å. (2012) Preparing teachers for practicing ICT and e-learning. Article at International conference on education, research and innovation (ICERI)
Tveiten, O. (2013) “Forstå, forklare, forebygge”, Norsk Medietidsskrift
Økland, Ø. (2013) Å forstå ungdom i en ny global virkelighet. I: Innvandrerungdom og mediebruk: Norsk-somalisk ungdom i en global medieverden. Portal forlag 2013 ISBN 978-82-92712-79-5. s. 108-117
World Learning Summit 2018:
- Annually recurring conference. 2018 slated for June 6-8.
- Scientific Proceedings: A level 1 publication, including PhD papers
Nordic Center of Excellence:
- A jointly Nordic proposal to establish a Virtual Center of Excellence in Digital Learning.
- Submitted by a Nordic consortium, September 2017
Future Learning Explored:
- Proposal to establish an interdisciplinary lab-oriented project, centered on new uses of learning technology
- Collaboration with the ICT Department in Grimstad and the IGUS Department in Kristiansand
- Based on a pilot study funded by Aust-Agder Utviklings og Kompetansefond, 2013-2015.
- Proposal submission, RCN, November 2017.
- Proposal to research life-long learning, adaptive learning and work-life in connection with society´s digital transformation: Proposal sent to Aust-Agder Utviklings og Kompetansefond, October 2017.
- Workshop in Silicon Valley