- The research group «Substance use, family and close others” focuses on the life situation of persons with substance use problems (including alcohol), and people close to them (family members and others). Within the scope is harm related to substance use dependence, but also harm to others than the substance user/drinker related to other non-dependent forms of substance use.
- The research will include challenges related to substance use problems, both in an individual perspective and in a broader biopsychosocial perspective.
- The research will focus on measures that can support coping among persons that use substances, family and others close to them and on improvement of their life situation.
Relevant PhD programmes
- The significance of parental practices and parental alcohol use in relation to adverse life experiences and substance use among adolescents (PhD project)
- Adverse childhood experiences and health related outcomes in a general population of adults
- QEEG and Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders: A Randomized Controlled Trial (PhD project)
- Family members affected by substance misuse or substance use disorder: How do they cope and what are their expressed needs for support? (PhD project)
- Substance use, family and close others (PhD project under development)
Selected publications (last five years):
- Jobling, Nina; Mjåland, Kristian; Birkeland, Bente (2023). Fengselssykepleieres erfaringer med samarbeidet med spesialisthelsetjenesten og fastleger om legemiddelassistert rehabilitering (LAR). Sykepleien Forskning. ISSN: 1890-2936. doi:10.4220/Sykepleienf.2023.91849.
- Gabrielsen, Karin Berle; Clausen, Thomas; Haugland, Siri Håvås; Hollup, Stig Arvid; Vederhus, John-Kåre (2022). Infralow neurofeedback in the treatment of substance use disorders: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience. ISSN: 1180-4882. 47 (3). s 222 - 229. doi:10.1503/jpn.210202.
- Gallefoss, Lisbeth; Gabrielsen, Karin Berle; Haugland, Siri Håvås; Clausen, Thomas; Vederhus, John-Kåre (2022). Effects of a brief pre‑admission telephone reminder on no‑show and dropout rates in substance use disorder treatment: a quasi‑experimental study. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy. ISSN: 1747-597X. 17 (1). doi:10.1186/s13011-022-00489-9
- Marciuch, Anne; Brenna, Ida Halvorsen; Weimand, Bente; Solli, Kristin Klemmetsby; Tanum, Lars Håkon Reiestad; Røstad, Bente; Birkeland, Bente (2022). Patients’ experiences of continued treatment with extended-release naltrexone: a Norwegian qualitative study. Addiction science & clinical practice. ISSN: 1940-0632. 17 (1). s 1 - 14. doi: 10.1186/s13722-022-00317-2
- Vederhus, John-Kåre; Haugland, Siri Håvås; Timko, Christine (2022). A mediational analysis of adverse experiences in childhood and quality of life in adulthood. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research. ISSN: 1049-8931. 31 (1). doi:10.1002/mpr.1904.
- Vederhus, John-Kåre; Rørendal, Malin; Skårdal, Madelene; Næss, Marianne Otterstad; Clausen, Thomas; Kristensen, Øistein (2022). Successful outcomes with low–threshold intervention for cannabis use disorders in Norway - an observational study. PLOS ONE. ISSN: 1932-6203. 17 (6). s 1 - 12. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0269988.
- Vederhus, J.K., Haugland, S.H., Timko C. (2022) A mediational analysis of adverse experiences in childhood and quality of life in adulthood. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 2022, 31 (1); e1904.
- Vederhus, J.K., Timko, C., Haugland, S.H. (2021). Adverse childhood experiences and impact on quality of life in adulthood: development and validation of a short difficult childhood questionnaire in a large population-based health survey. Quality of Life Research. ISSN: 0962-9343. 30s 1769 - 1778.
- Haugland, S.H., Olivieira, V.C.B., Stea, T.H., Strandheim, A., Vederhus, J.K., (2021). Associations between parental alcohol problems in childhood and adversities during childhood and later adulthood: a cross-sectional study of 28047 adults from the general population. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy. ISSN: 1747-597X. 16
- Haugland, S.H., Elgan, T (2021). Prevalence of Parental Alcohol Problems among a General Population Sample of 28,047 Norwegian Adults: Evidence for a Socioeconomic Gradient. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). ISSN: 1661-7827. 18 (10).
- Birkeland, B., Weimand, B., Ruud, T., Maybery, D., & Vederhus, J. K. (2021). Perceived family cohesion, social support, and quality of life in patients undergoing treatment for substance use disorders compared with patients with mental and physical disorders. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 16(1), 1-9.
- Vederhus, J. K., Høie, M., & Birkeland, B. (2020). One size doesn’t fit all: a thematic analysis of interviews with people who have stopped participating in Narcotics Anonymous in Norway. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 15(1), 1-12.
- Weimand, B. M., Birkeland, B., Ruud, T., & Høie, M. M. (2020). “It’s like being stuck on an unsafe and unpredictable rollercoaster”: Experiencing substance use problems in a partner. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 37(3), 227-242.
- Haugland, S.H., Coombes, L., Strandheim, A., (2020). Parental alcohol intoxication and adverse health outcomes among offspring. A 4-year follow up HUNT study among 2399 Norwegian adolescents. Preventive Medicine Reports. ISSN: 2211-3355. 20
- Vederhus JK, Rørendal M, Bjelland C, Skar AKS, Kristensen Ø. (2020). Can a Smartphone App for Cannabis Cessation Gain a Broader User Group than Traditional Treatment Services? Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment 2020; 14:1-9
- Haugland, S.H., Coombes, L., Strandheim, A. (2019). Are Sexually Offensive or Violent Experiences More Common among Adolescents Exposed to Parental Alcohol Intoxication? Child Abuse Review. 28 (5). s 366 - 380.
- Vederhus JK, Kristensen Ø, Timko C. (2019). How do psychological characteristics of family members affected by substance use influence quality of life? Quality of Life Research 2019; 28 (8): 2161-2170
- Birkeland, B., Foster, K., Selbekk, A. S., Høie, M. M., Ruud, T., & Weimand, B. (2018). The quality of life when a partner has substance use problems: a scoping review. Health and quality of life outcomes, 16(1), 1-14.
Members in the group
- Ottar Ness, Professor, NTNU
- Bente Weimand, Professor, USN
- Pål Solhaug, Special Advisor, RVTS Sør
- Monica Øvensen Ordahl, Special Advisor, Jegersberg gård.
- Nina Jobling Iversen, psychriatic nurse, Sørlandet Hospital