The research group covers a broad range of projects and methods within the following three main topics:
- Financial Accounting
- Management Control
- Quantitative Finance
The group is headed by associate professor of financial analysis Leif A. Beisland. A more detailed description of the three main research topics is given below.
The research interests of the financial accounting and auditing researchers connect with and inform theoretical and practitioner debates in the field. Most group members use empirical research methods, although this does not exclude the use of qualitative research methods or the development of theoretical models to address specific research issues. The group's research activity falls within the following subject areas: international accounting and IFRS adoption, value relevance and accounting quality in both a national and international context, financial accounting and auditing in a Norwegian setting, accounting and auditing in developing and emerging markets, and the influence of hedge accounting regulations on risk management decisions.
This research focuses on management control, i.e. all types of systems and devices managers use to influence the behaviour and decisions in their organisation. The interest is on what factors influence the design and use of management control, differences in design and use, and potential effects caused by such differences. The management control researchers have a special interest in service organisations, both private and public.
The researchers engage in research activities within a broad spectre of quantitative financial topics: investments, portfolio management, financial econometrics, technical analysis of financial markets, risk management, commodity markets, derivatives markets, shipping, etc. Particular emphasis is given to active asset allocation strategies, market timing, forecasting risk and return, quantitative models for financial time-series, and pricing of derivatives in commodity markets. In doing research, the researchers actively combine knowledge from three basic fields: finance theory, mathematics, and computer science.
- Alon, A. (2013). Institutional complexity and dual institutionality: The case of IFRS adoption in Russia. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 21(1), 42-57.
- Alon A. & Dwyer P. (2016). SEC's acceptance of IFRS-based financial reporting: An examination based in institutional theory. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 48, 1-16.
- Alon, A., & Dwyer P. (2014). Early adoption of IFRS as a strategic response to transnational and local influences. The International Journal of Accounting, 49(3), 348-370.
- Alon A. & Vidovic M. (2015). Sustainability performance and assurance: Influence on reputation. Corporate Reputation Review, 18(4), 337-352.
- Andresen, A., Benth, F. E., Koekebakker, S., & Zakamulin, V. (2014). The CARMA Interest Rate Model. International Journal of Theoretical & Applied Finance, 17(2).
- Beisland, L. A., & Heskestad, T. (2016): Regnskapsføring av goodwill: En sammenligning av GRS og IFRS. Praktisk Økonomi og Finans, 32, 216-227.
- Beisland, L. A., Mersland, R., & Strøm, R. Ø. (2015). Audit Quality and Corporate Governance: Evidence from the Microfinance Industry. International Journal of Auditing, 19, 218-237.
- Beisland, L. A., Mersland, R., & Randøy, T. (2015). Transparency and disclosure in the global microfinance industry: Implications for practice and policy makers. In J. Forssbæck & L. Oxelheim (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Political, Institutional, and Corporate Transparency. USA: Oxford University Press.
- Beisland, L. A., & Knivsflå, K. H. (2015). Have IFRS Changed How Stock Prices are Associated with Earnings and Book Values? Evidence from Norway. Review of Accounting and Finance, 14(1), 41-63.
- Beisland, L. A., Mersland, R., & Randøy, T. (2014). The Association between Microfinance Rating Scores and Corporate Governance: A Global Survey. International Review of Financial Analysis, 35, 268-280.
- Beisland, L. A., Mersland, R., & Randøy, T. (2014). Microbank Regulation and Earnings Quality: A Global Survey. In R. Mersland & R. Ø. Strøm (Eds.), Microfinance Institutions: Financial and Social Performance. Great Britain: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Beisland, L. A. (2014). Equity Valuation in Practice: The Influence of Net Financial Expenses. Accounting Forum, 38, 122-131.
- Beisland, L. A., & Mersland, R. (2014). Earnings Quality in Nonprofit versus For-Profit Organisations: Evidence from the Microfinance Industry. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 43(4), 652-671.
- Beisland, L. A., & Hamberg, M. (2013). Earnings Sustainability, Economic Conditions and the Value Relevance of Accounting Information. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 29, 314-324.
- Beisland, L. A. (2013). The Value Relevance of Accounting Information During the Global Financial Crisis: Evidence from Norway. International Journal of Economics and Accounting, 4(3), 249-263.
- Beisland, L. A., & Frestad, D. (2013). How fair-value accounting can influence firm hedging. Review of Derivatives Research, 16(2), 193-217.
- Beisland, L. A., & Mersland, R. (2013). Earnings Quality in the Microfinance Industry. In J.-P. Gueyie, R. Manos & J. Yaron (Eds.), Microfinance in Developing Countries: Issues, Policies and Performance Evaluation. Great Britain: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Benth, F. E., & Koekebakker, S. (Forthcoming). Stochastic modeling of Supramax spot and forward freight rates. Maritime Economics and Logistics.
- Benth, F. E., Koekebakker, S., & Taib, C. M. I. C. (2015). Stochastic dynamical modelling of spot freight rates. IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, 26(3), 273-297.
- Cogneau, P. & Zakamulin, V. (2013). Block Bootstrap Methods and the Choice of Stocks for the Long Run. Quantitative Finance, 13(9), 1443-1457.
- Eriksson, M., Lempa, J., & Nilssen, T. K. (2014). Swing options in commodity markets: a model with jumps. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research, 79, 31-67.
- Frestad, D., & Beisland, L. A. (2015). Hedge Effectiveness Testing as a Screening Mechanism for Hedge accounting - Does it work? Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 30, 35-56.
- Friestad, L. B. H. (2015). Målstyring i grunnskolen – gjør det noen forskjell? I Langfeldt, G. (Ed.): Skolens kvalitet skapes lokalt. Presentasjon av funn fra forskningsprosjektet «Lærende regioner». Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
- Friestad, L. B. H. (2016). School output control and student performance in Norwegian primary schools—an exploratory study. Public Money & Management, 36, 137-144.
- Hamberg, M., & Beisland, L. A., & (2014). Changes in the Value Relevance of Goodwill Accounting Following the Adoption of IFRS 3. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing & Taxation, 23, 59-73.
- Zakamulin, V. (2015). A Test of Covariance Matrix Forecasting Methods. Journal of Portfolio Management, 41(3), 97-108.
- Zakamulin, V. (2014). The Real-Life Performance of Market Timing with Moving Average and Time-Series Momentum Rules. Journal of Asset Management, 15(4), 261-278
- Zakamulin, V. (2014). Dynamic Asset Allocation Strategies Based on Unexpected Volatility. Journal of Alternative Investments, 16(4), 37-50.
- Zakamulin, V. (2014). Portfolio Performance Evaluation with Loss Aversion. Quantitative Finance, 14(4), 699-710.
- Zakamulin, V. (2013). Forecasting the Size Premium Over Different Time Horizons. Journal of Banking and Finance, 37(3), 1061-1072.
Leader of group
Leif Atle Beisland
+47 38 14 16 55/+47 975 36 263
leif.a.beislandSPAMFILTER@uia.no (Remove SPAMFILTER from the address)