I am a biologist with a PhD in population ecology (University of Barcelona, 2013) interested in the individual processes of survival, dispersal and growth and the factors (both biotic and abiotic) influencing them. I am trained in the analysis and modelling of ecological data and I have expertise in quantitative methods such as capture-recapture and occupancy models, which I use to answer both fundamental and applied ecological questions. My line of research is usually focused on aquatic species and ecosystems, but I am also interested in terrestrial taxa and biological processes at the metapopulation and community levels.
In September 2019 I joined the CCR team at UiA as a postdoctoral researcher. My current research is focused on the population dynamics and spatial ecology of Atlantic cod and European lobster within and outside marine protected areas (MPAs) in Skagerrak, with the aim to generate robust knowledge for an adequate management of both species in the region. Until October 2020, I will be primarily located at the Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES) of the University of Oslo, hosted by the Demography group at CEES (prof. Yngvild Vindenes and Torbjørn H. Ergon).
Quantitative ecology (statistical modelling of individual-based data)
Animal population dynamics (abundance, growth) and vital rates (survival, dispersal)
Animal ecology in freshwater (mountain streams) and marine (coastal) environments
Eco-evolutionary impacts of marine pretected areas (MPAs) and implications for management.
Zoology, Ornithology, Natural history, Biogeography, Taxonomy and Evolution
2019 - today: Postdoctoral researcher, University of Agder, Norway
2018 - 2019: Quantitative ecologist, Bretagne Vivante Association, France
2016 - 2018: Postdoctoral researcher, University of Oviedo, Spain
2013 - 2015: Postdoctoral researcher, Institute of Marine Research, Norway
1. Fernández-Chacón A, Villegas-Ríos D, Moland E, Olsen EM, Carlson S. 2019. Protected areas buffer against harvest selection and rebuild phenotypic complexity. Ecological Applications (under review).
2. Guéry L, Rouan L, Descamps S, Bêty J, Fernández-Chacón A, Gilchrist HG, Pradel R. 2019. Covariate and multinomial: accounting for distance in movement in capture-recapture analyses. Ecology and Evolution, 9(2): 818-824.
3. Hwan J, Fernández-Chacón A, Buoro M, Carlson S. 2018. Dry season survival of juvenile salmonids in an intermittent coastal stream. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 75(5): 746-758.
4. Fernández-Chacón A, Moland E, Espeland SH, Kleiven AR, Olsen EM. 2017. Causes of mortality in depleted populations of Atlantic Cod estimated from multi-event modelling of mark-recapture and recovery data. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 74(1): 116-126.
5. Kleiven AR, Fernández-Chacón A, Nordahl J, Moland E, Espeland SH, Knutsen H, Olsen EM. 2016. Harvest pressure on coastal Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) from recreational fishing relative to commercial fishing assessed from tag-recovery data. PLOS One 11(3): e0149595. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149595.
6. Fernández-Chacón A, Olsen EM, Moland E, Espeland SH. 2015. Demographic effects of full versus partial protection from harvesting: inference from an empirical before–after control-impact study on Atlantic cod. Journal of Applied Ecology 52: 1206-1215.
7. Fernández-Chacón A, Genovart M, Alvarez D, Cano JM, Ojanguren AF, Rodríguez-Muñoz R, Nicieza AG. 2015. Neighbouring populations, opposite dynamics: influence of body size and environmental variation on the demography of stream-resident brown trout (Salmo trutta). Oecologia 178: 379-389.
8. Fernández-Chacón A, Stefanescu C, Genovart M, Nichols JD, Hines JE, Páramo F, Turco M, Oro D. 2014. Determinants of extinction-colonization dynamics in Mediterranean butterflies: the role of landscape, climate and local habitat features. Journal of Animal Ecology 83: 276–285.
9. Fernández-Chacón A, Genovart M, Pradel R, Tavecchia G, Bertolero A, Piccardo J, Forero MG, Afán I, Muntaner J, Oro D. 2013. When to stay, when to disperse and where to go: survival and dispersal patterns in a spatially structured seabird population. Ecography 36:1117–1126.
10. Genovart M, Sanz-Aguilar A, Fernández-Chacón A, Igual JM, Pradel R, Forero MG, Oro D, Roulin A. 2013. Contrasting effects of climatic variability on the demography of a trans-equatorial migratory seabird. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:121–130.
11. Fernández-Chacón A, Bertolero A, Amengual A, Tavecchia G, Homar V, Oro D. 2011. Spatial heterogeneity in the effects of climate change on the population dynamics of a Mediterranean tortoise. Global Change Biology 17:3075-3088.
12. Constenla M, Carrassón M, Moyà CM, Fernàndez-Chacón A, Padrós F, Repullés-Albelda A, Montero FE. 2011. Parasitisation by Bathycreadium elongatum (Digenea, Opecoelidae) in pyloric caeca of Trachyrincus scabrus (Teleostei, Macrouridae). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 96:239-247.
Last changed: 20.11.2019 11:11