“Our research should be internationally recognised. At the same time, research should be recognisable in the teaching and contribute to keeping our educational programmes relevant.”
Paul Ragnar Svennevig
Assistant Professor, Department of Engineering Sciences
Why are you standing for election?
I am standing for election because I wish to be a part of further developing UiA’s position within the teaching and research climate of Norway. We should be recognised as an attractive university at which to study and work – and one that is socially engaged, participating actively in social affairs.
What are the 3 most important issues you wish to work towards in the next four years?
I want UiA to be recognised as a university with an extremely good quality of education. UiA should be an attractive place to study, and students who wish to apply to UiA should know that we have employment-oriented and research-driven teaching.
I want UiA to be internationally recognised as a university with excellent researchers. Our research should be internationally recognised. At the same time, research should be recognisable in the teaching and contribute to keeping our educational programmes relevant.
UiA should be an active participant in social affairs and a prime mover for collaboration with public and private industry and commerce in our region. We have a social responsibility to provide new collaborative platforms between academia and our region, through research, teaching, and participation in the public debate. In this respect, UiA is good, but we need to become even better and more visible regionally, nationally and internationally.
What qualities/expertise do you have that might convince your colleagues to vote for you?
I am a committed person who wishes to do what I can so that the university will become the university I have outlined through the issues with which I wish to work. I have a wide-ranging work experience and experience on boards and with association which means that I know what it involves working towards goals by being an active member of the board.
I have good contact with other institutions in the academic world; I am an application evaluator for NFR, I am part of the advisory panel of NOKUT and I am a regular external examiner at other institutions such as NTNU, USN and HiØ.
• 2018: Educational Supervision, University of Agder
• 2014 – 2016: University of Agder, MSc Bygg,chartered engineer
• 2010 – 2011: University of Agder, MSc Industrial economics and technology management (55 ECTS credits)
• 2008 – 2009: University of Agder, Basis course in University Pedagogy
• 2004 – 2007: Agder University College, Bachelor of Engineering, Building Design
• 2003 – 2004: University of Agder, preliminary course
• 1993 – 1994: Blakstad Upper Secondary School, VK II, Carpentry
• 1992 – 1993: Blakstad Upper Secondary School, VK I, Carpentry
• 1991 – 1992: Sørlandets Tekniske Fagskole, Basis course, Carpentry Main Subject
• 01.2018 – 06.2018: Fagskolen i Kristiansand. Position: Associate Professor, 15 %-position
• 04.2017 – present: University of Agder. Position: Assistant Professor
• 04.2017 – present: University of Agder. Position: Section leader, Construction
• 08.2016 – 06.2017: Fagskolen i Kristiansand. Position: Lektor, 15 %-stilling
• 01.2009 – 03.2017: University of Agder. Position: Study programme coordinator BSc Building Design
• 01.2008 – 03.2017: University of Agder. Position: Chief engineer
• 08.2007 – 01.2008: PK Entreprenør A/S. Position: Construction site engineer
• 06. 2000 – 08.2003: Block Watne A/S, Aust – Agder. Position: Carpenter, Chief carpenter
• 06. 1994 – 05.2000: Trond Haugseth/Haugseth bygg A/S. Position: Carpentry apprentice
• 2018 – present: SiA board, deputy board member
• 2016 – present: Grimstad Næringsforening, board member
• 2014 – present: Betongnettverk for Universiteter og Høgskoler, chairman
• 2006 – 2007: Agder University College, Faculty of Technology, member of the Faculty board
• 2006 – 2007: Agder University College, member of the student parliament