Løk og gen ekspresjon
professor M. Azam Mansoor, dr. philos., Institutt for naturvitenskapelige fag, UiA (prosjektleder)
forsker Ingunn M. Vågen, dr.scient., grønnsakforsker, Bioforsk Øst Landvik, Reddalsveien 215, 4886 Grimstad, Norway
forsker Rune Slimestad, dr.scient., PlantChem, P.O.Box 3082, Ganddal, N-4392, Sandnes, Norway
professor Rune Blomhoff, Seksjon ernæring, UiO, Oslo, Norway
Dr. philos. Amrit Kaur Sakhi, Seksjon ernæring, UiO, Oslo, Norway
professor Shu Ye, University of London, UK.
• Measurement of different biochemical parameters in plasma samples from the participants may allow us to test the hypothesis:
• Whether age determines folate, NO3 and glutathione concentration in blood during increased consumption of onions.
• Whether increased onion consumption will significantly alter the expression of genes related to antioxidants and as consequence may have an impact on the markers of oxidative stress.
• We shall evaluate dietary intake of food and food supplements.
• We shall measure the concentrations of folate, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12, glutathione and markers of oxidative stress.
• We shall measure markers of inflammation; leukocyte count, soluble cellular adhesion molecules (CAMs), high sensitive C-reactive protein (hs-CRP), NO3 and interleukins.
• We shall determine gene expression and polymorphisms in genes related to antioxidants.