- Academic calendar
- Acts and regulations
- Approvals, credit transfer and exemptions
- Citing sources
- E-learning: Fronter
- Guide to ECTS Course Catalogue
- General practical information
- Information about the University of Agder
- International Education Office
- Exchange students
- Faculties & administration
- Financial support
- Individual education plan
- IT services
- Open bachelor's degree
- Reading- and Group Rooms
- Registration – StudentWeb
- Special needs and health services
- Student Accidents and Deaths
- Student guidance
- Student information services
Bachelor's Programme in Political Science
180 ECTS credits - 3 years - Kristiansand
Higher Education Entrance Qualification
The programme emphasises Political Science subjects such as Public Policy and Administration, International Politics, Political Theory, Organisation Theory and Comparative Politics. In addition, the programme includes amongst other law, economics, research methods and sociology, which in sum ensures an interdisciplinary perspective.
Arrangements for the recognition of prior learning are described in the information on the institution under "General arrangements for the recognition of prior learning (formal, informal and non-formal)".
For a description of the examination regulations, see the Examination Regulations of the University of Agder.
For information about the Norwegian grading system, see ECTS credits and grades. Specific information on grading for each course is found in the individual course descriptions.
The Examination Regulations of the University of Agder regulate the graduation requirements for each programme of study.
On successfull completion of the programme, the candidate should be able to:
- give an account of political science concepts and theories
- decribe various types of organisations
- give an account of the Norwegian political and administrative system
- give an account of different political systems
- give an account of international political relations
- formulate relevant research questions and carry out simple empirical studies
- assess problems that can occur in organisations and suggest changes
- conduct independent disclosure of relevant issues
- ability to perform analyses of poltical and administrative issues locally, nationally and internationally
- be able to teach social science courses in high school (ungdomsskole/ videregående)
Various types of teaching methods will be utilised such as lectures, group work, seminars and work on projects. Traditional forms of teaching in certain subjects will be combined with the use of the Internet and development-oriented project assignments.
Students can go abroad on exchange in their 4. and/ or 5. semesters at one of our co-operating institutions.
On completion of the programme, graduates will be qualified for executive and middle management and executive positions in the public sector. It also provides good background for administrative work in the private sector, NGOs and voluntary organisations. Completed studies qualify for admission to masters degree in Public Policy and Management and Master in Welfare Studies at the University of Agder.
Successful completion of the programme awards the degree of Bachelor of Political Science.
Kari Nordstoga Hanssen
Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences