- Academic calendar
- Acts and regulations
- Approvals, credit transfer and exemptions
- Citing sources
- E-learning: Fronter
- Guide to ECTS Course Catalogue
- General practical information
- Information about the University of Agder
- International Education Office
- Exchange students
- Faculties & administration
- Financial support
- Individual education plan
- IT services
- Open bachelor's degree
- Reading- and Group Rooms
- Registration – StudentWeb
- Special needs and health services
- Student Accidents and Deaths
- Student guidance
- Student information services
MA-209-G Mathematics 3
After completing the course, the student is expected to be able to:
- characterise the properties with quadratic curves and surfaces
- master vector multiplications and applications associated with lines and planes
- put up and solve equations for motion of particles and bodies in the gravitational field
- master curve, surface and volume integrals in different systems of coordinates
- calculate work, circulation and flux
- apply the theorems of Green, Stokes and Gauss
- solve differential equations by means of power series and Fourier series
Conic section and quadratic curves, polar coordinates. Vectors, lines and planes in three dimensions, cylinders and quadratic surfaces. Two and three dimensional position vectors, tangent and normal vectors. Newton's laws, particle motion in the gravitational field, planet and satellite motion. Double and triple integrals. Area, substance, momentum and radius of inertia. Cylindrical and spherical coordinates. Curve, surface and volume integrals of scalar and vector functions. Work, circulation and flux. Divergence and curl. The theorems of Green, Stokes and Gauss. Fourier series: sine series and cosine series. Solving partial differential equation by means of power series and Fourier series.
Lectures and exercises, and group work.
Satisfactory submission of compulsory exercises.
Written examination, 5 hours. Graded mark.
Head of Department Rein Terje Thorstensen
Available on request.
The syllabus will be published on the home page of the course when finalised. See link in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- 6 ECTS credits
MA-2620- G2 - 6 ECTS credits
Faculty of Engineering and Science