- Academic calendar
- Acts and regulations
- Approvals, credit transfer and exemptions
- Citing sources
- E-learning: Fronter
- Guide to ECTS Course Catalogue
- General practical information
- Information about the University of Agder
- International Education Office
- Exchange students
- Faculties & administration
- Financial support
- Individual education plan
- IT services
- Open bachelor's degree
- Reading- and Group Rooms
- Registration – StudentWeb
- Special needs and health services
- Student Accidents and Deaths
- Student guidance
- Student information services
IS-105-1 Data Communications and Operating Systems
IS-100 Information Systems or equivalent.
Upon successful completion of the course the students will be able to:
- Know fundamental operating system concepts
- Know how information is represented in a computer
- Install an operating system
- Create and recreate programs based on understanding of basic principles in operating systems and data communications
- Point to differences between proprietary and free software operating systems
- Explain the possibilities communication technology opens up for enterprises
- Know about the Internet´s significance for society
- Explain different protocols for data communications and how the different layers cooperate in a communication process.
- The structure of an operating system, process management, management of memory and of I/O equipment
- Principles for compilation and execution of computer programs illustrated in a low level programming language
- Specific features of distributed systems
- Basic concepts of data communication
- The OSI-model and the Internet Protocols (IP, UDP and TCP) and higher level protocols
- Deployment of different networks in different contexts
- Security in data communication.
Up to 6 hours of lecture and lab assignments per week.
Approved mandatory assignments and lab assignments.
A 4-hour written, individual exam.
Undergraduate, i.e. Bachelor level.
Normally, first year of Bachelor Programme.
Janis Gailis and Stig Nordheim
The syllabus is published on the home page of the course when finalised. See link in the upper right hand corner of the page.
The syllabus will be published on the home page of the course when finalised. See link in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- 6 ECTS credits
IS-2500- 1 - 10 ECTS credits
IS-2500- 2 - 10 ECTS credits
INF108- 1 - 0 ECTS credits
Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences