Lecture by Anselm Meo
By Anselm Meo
The church in Flores has been and is committed to improving the life of people on Flores. In the past the there has been run a program called “Option for the People” which had good effect on the local communities. The reason for the success was some steps implemented for the project. It is three important aspects to deal with poverty reduction.
- Clear vision and option for the people
- Working together with the government and other organizations for funding
- Implementation of power of science and technology through training, and through vocational schools
In the current situation the Catholic Church feels that it is impossible for them to alleviate poverty on their own, as there are so many organizations and government offices who work for the same goal. Still there is some things that can be done and should be done, like revitalizing the SVD that in the past helped people provide healthy food for themselves, and to provide money for children’s education. These two steps should be implemented into a system like integrated and sustainable agriculture activities.
Some small steps to achieve this
- Providing opportunities for young people for training skills or formal schools in agricultural activities; training program for framing and increasing diversity, social- economic service through education and training for developing human capacity, training programs for skill in agriculture, animal husbandry and fishpond development in cooperation with other organizations
- Involvment of Credit Union for provision of business capital or funding for people in micro scale
- Use of applied technology which takes into account the need of the local people and uses local resources
- Providing markets and networking for local people, which will lead to improved business managment